italian plum clafoutis

PlumClafoutis4Clafoutis is a gorgeous, rustic French dessert, akin to a Dutch baby and almost souffle-like in texture. Originally made using cherries, complete with their pits {purists believe that the pits impart an almond-like flavor to the dessert}, there are infinite ways to make a clafoutis your own, using whatever fruit is in season {stone fruits and pears would all work well}.  A few weeks ago, I went to the market with the intention of picking up a few apricots for an apricot clafoutis, but the apricots just didn’t look as gorgeous as these flame red Italian plums, and then and there the direction of my clafoutis pivoted slightly.

A clafoutis couldn’t be easier to make. Simply pit and slice the fruit in large wedges {or leave them halved} and place them in the baking dish with a sprinkling of sugar to get their juices flowing. Then mix together a simple pancake-like batter in a blender and pour over the fruit. To impart a slight almond flavor a la the original clafoutis, I used a mixture of almond flour and all-purpose flour. This dish is designed to be consumed straight from the oven, when the clafoutis is puffed up and golden brown, with a dusting of confectioners’ sugar. Simple rustic French cooking at its finest.

PlumClafoutis

• 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
  • 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar

Preheat the oven to 375°F. Butter a 10 inch baking dish, and sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar over the bottom.

Arrange the plum slices, cut side down, so that they cover the entire bottom of the pie plate. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of sugar over the top of the plums. In a blender, combine the remaining 3 tablespoons of sugar, eggs, milk, flours, zests, nutmeg, vanilla, and salt. Process until smooth, about 2 minutes. Pour over the fruit in the baking dish.

Bake for 50 to 60 minutes in the preheated oven, or until firm and lightly browned. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing. Dust with confectioners’ sugar before serving.

PlumClafoutis3

PlumClafoutis7

PlumClafoutis8

This entry was posted in desserts + baking, Recipes. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to italian plum clafoutis

1. This looks amazing!! I absolutely love peaches and can’t wait to give this a try 🙂

2. Absolutely beautiful and delicious, I just love clafoutis and plums it’s a heavenly combination!

3. andmorefood says:

it looks so good! somehow your first photo got me thinking about how it would feel to lie down in a pool of warm clafoutis..

4. neetukushi says:

Looks lovely and definitely something I’m going to try. I like your idea of using apricots. Thanks for sharing. 🙂

5. Rachel says:

Your pictures are incredible! I have never baked with plums and this looks like a great way to start!

Thank you so much Rachel! And thank you for stopping by! I had never really baked with plums before either, always picking peaches over plums, but plums were delicious! Hope you give this a try! xoxo

6. Brittany says:

Oh my gosh… I’ve never had clafoutis! Definitely need to change that after seeing this beauty! 🙂

7. Chelsea says:

This sounds delightful! I’ve never tried clafoutis, but this tempts me a goodly bit…

Clafoutis is a great little dessert to have in your arsenal – it is so simple to make and can be put into the oven during dinner and presented straight from the oven for dessert! And it’s so adaptable. I hope you give it a try! xoxo

8. Lucy says:

This looks insanely good! Thank you for a great recipe!
    Lucy xo | We Resolve Blog

9. Julia says:

Your recipe sounded easy adn looked great and I could not wait and give it a try. I used the plums mixed with peaches. Everything was great except for the fact that I found that the cup and 1/3 of milk and 1/3s of flour made the mix quite liquid. Is that right or did I miss something? In any case, it tasted wonderful and my husband and son finished it on the spot. Thanks for the recipe.

Awesome – thanks for giving the recipe a try! Yes, the batter should be quite liquid – perhaps even slightly more liquid than pancake batter – more like a thin crepe batter. Sounds like you did it perfectly! Thanks for reading. xoxo