salted butter caramel corn with thyme

CaramelCorn1A few months ago, through a local blogger meet up, I met two fascinating ladies and fellow bloggers – bp and Brittany. We had such a blast chatting that we exchanged information and soon had drinks scheduled on the calendar. A few weeks later, we met, together with Lindsay and my sister, for wine and cheese at Rouge et Blanc. bp smuggled in some delicious rosemary caramel corn that she had purchased from the Ferry Building that we sneakily passed around the table, happily munching away on in between sips of French wine. It was one of the those perfect girls’ nights out, where the conversation ranged from wedding dresses, to professional pursuits, to gluten-free diets, to diaphragms {don’t ask}. It was such a vivacious, dynamic group – each of whom had something interesting to bring to the table {both literally and figuratively in bp’s case}, yet were supportive and generous listeners. ย It was such a lovely and memorable evening, the kind that leaves you feeling rejuvenated with positive energy.

The herbal flavor added to an otherwise very sweet, buttery caramel corn was genius. It was a delicious savory/sweet combination that for me elevated caramel corn to another level. The following weekend, I just had to make it at home, but given my penchant for thyme, I substituted fresh thyme for the fresh rosemary. Adding the thyme to the hot caramel at the last moment lends the perfect, herbal note, without over-powering the buttery depth of flavor of the caramel. The perfect dish to munch on for a girls night out, or in {and a great hostess gift}.

For a decadent and mouth watering variation on another caramel corn recipe, check out lark and linen’s bacon cashew caramel corn here.

CaramelCorn3

Adapted from several internet sites, including here

• 7 quarts plain popped popcorn
  • 2 cups brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup light corn syrup
  • 1 cup salted butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme

Note: I used 1 1/3 cups unpopped popcorn kernels, and popped them over the stove according to popcorn instructions.

Place the popped popcorn into two shallow greased baking pans. You may use roasting pans, jelly roll pans, or disposable roasting pans. Set aside.

Preheat the oven to 250ยฐF. Combine the brown sugar, corn syrup, and salted butter in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring enough to blend. Once the mixture begins to boil, boil for 5 minutes while stirring constantly.

Remove from the heat, and stir in the baking soda, vanilla and thyme. The mixture will be light and foamy. Immediately pour over the popcorn in the pans, and stir to coat. Don’t worry too much at this point about getting all of the corn coated.

Bake for 1 hour, removing the pans, and giving them each a good stir every 15 minutes. Line the counter top with waxed paper. Dump the corn out onto the waxed paper and separate the pieces. Allow to coolย completely, then store in airtight containers or resealable bags.

CaramelCorn2

CaramelCorn4

This entry was posted in other tasty bits, Recipe Collection. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to salted butter caramel corn with thyme

1. Anytime caramel corn is anywhere near me I can not stop eating it. Just imagining how thyme or rosemary would be such a wonderfully aromatic sensation to add to the already perfectness of it. Sounds like a lovely evening. (wish I was present)!

Thank you so much! Wish you were present too! ๐Ÿ™‚ You are so right about caramel corn and its crack-like qualities. It is just too easy to inhale it! ๐Ÿ™‚ xoxo

2. Great idea! I add thyme to my peach pie. I wonder how this would be with some of those seasonings thrown in. Caramel corn with thyme and cinnamon, for instance.

Ooh, that is brilliant – I love the idea of thyme with peach pie – do you mix the thyme leaves into the peaches before pouring them into the pan? Roasted peaches and thyme would also be great on top of crostini with some goat cheese. Thanks for the fantastic idea! ๐Ÿ™‚ xoxo

3. You have such a talent for recreating recipes you enjoy with your own twist. Loved this post! You’ve got to make some for me one day, PLEASE? Yes, such positive company and so much fun… we have lots more of that in store xoxoxo

Haha thanks BP! Yes – I will definitely make you some caramel corn sometime soon – you were the inspiration after all! ๐Ÿ™‚ And I do think it’s gf, right? ๐Ÿ™‚ Let’s hang again soon! xoxo

4. My mind is seriously blown. I’ve been wanting to make caramel corn for some time now but laziness always seems to win. The idea of adding savory herbs is pure genius! Rosemary I worry might have been a bit too intense for me, but thyme–love it! Hopefully it will finally push me over the edge to make some.

Haha thank you Melissa! You know, it’s really not too difficult to make. I think following the recipe exactly and watching over the caramel like a hawk are really the most important things to do. The rosemary caramel corn we had was simply divine, but I just prefer thyme a bit more. Thank you so much for reading – I do hope you give the recipe a try. If you do, please let me know what you think! xoxo

5. Hello, I’ve just discovered your blog, which is absolutely beautiful… very nice pictures and design!

6. Brittany says:

Oh my gosh, YES. BP had mentioned that you posted this last time we got together and I just now got to this point in my “to read” list. Ack!! That really was such a fun night… that waiter probably never wants to hear the word “diaphragm” again lol! I was trying to figure out a sweet snack to bring to Hardly Strictly this weekend, and now I have it – yum! xoxo

What a fantastic idea… I love herbs in sweet dishes, particularly thyme, so I can imagine how good this thyme caramel corn must be. Yum! Thanks Lindsay. Glad that you had a beautiful blogger meet up too ๐Ÿ™‚ xoxo