wine tasting in napa

WineTasting15

On the Fourth of July, Matt, Layla and I packed up the car for a little road trip up to Napa, California, for wine tasting, good food and relaxation.  As we drove out of the fog bank covering San Francisco, the temperature shot up by a good 30 degrees – we went from 62° to 92º within an hour!  Incredible!  We cruised through Yountville and stopped at Addendum for lunch {a separate post on that to come}, and then meandered down the Silverado Trail, stopping in at a new tasting room, Odette Estate {the same name of my favorite cream puff shop in Paris}, which had a decidedly beautiful Hamptons vibe about it, design wise, and then back to Yountville to Girard, where I was talked into purchasing a membership last year by a group of gregarious pourers that Matt and I had a blast talking to. When you come across a pourer that is welcoming, knowledgable and passionate about what they do, their excitement is contagious.

WineTasting6

WineTasting7

WineTasting8

WineTasting3

WineTasting4

WineTasting5

WineTasting2

WineTasting1

WineTasting9

WineTasting10

WineTasting11

WineTasting12

This entry was posted in Travel. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to wine tasting in napa

1. Wow, 62 to 92 thats a major climb in temperature. It looks just beautiful in Napa, I have always wanted to taste my way through the vineyards in California and Oregon. Sounds like a really wonderful road trip. What fun!

Crazy indeed! San Francisco is a little island of cool in a sea of heat. It really is remarkable how much the temperature changes even 10 minutes outside of the city! I think you should plan a wine tasting trip out west! I also have never been to Oregon wine country, but love some pinots I have had from there – I am sure it would be amazing! xoxo

I am so jealous now!

3. What a great way to spend 4th of July! Beautiful pictures, makes me wanna go there too!

4. We’re trying to get over there this year. Looks amazing – thanks for the incentive. Not that we needed much.. 😉

Thanks Phil! Yes – you should definitely make a trip. Wine country (Sonoma and Napa valleys) are just out of this world gorgeous, and just so much fun. Good food, wine, beautiful scenery – what else could you ask for?! 🙂

5. I love Napa. Used to visit a few times a year when I lived in California. Well, now living in Washington state we do have some great wineries…but, really…my heart is still on Napa / Sonoma wines. Looks like a gorgeous place…Girard.

I hear you! After years of living in Southern California, I feel so incredibly lucky to now be only 1 hour’s drive away from such amazing wineries…You should make a trip out here soon! 🙂

6. Matthew Heil says:

Nice post Linds, glad you guys got to check out the new Odette estate. I have not yet visited – need to add that to our list. Have you ever been to Plumpjack and Cade? Two more nice properties from the same ownership group. I had the same experience at the Girard room last year and a great time. Add Ovid Napa Valley to your bucket list. Their winery and view are almost as beautiful as their wine! All the best to you and yours.

Thank you Matt! Nice to hear from you, and thank you so much for reading! Odette Estate was gorgeous, but I can’t say I loved their wines – I think they are still transitioning and were using non-estate grapes for the wines from 2011 that we were tasting – it may be best to wait to visit for another year or so…The pourer at Odette also pours at Cade, so he was telling us all about it and showing us pictures – it looks absolutely stunning – love the modern architecture. We tried to make an appointment for a tasting for the following day, but they were completely booked. Next time we will book in advance! Hope you’re doing well!

Oh and thank you for the recommendation regarding Ovid – sounds lovely! Will definitely add it to my list!

7. Pingback: bardessono | { fleur de sel }