summertime key lime pies with coconut cream

KeyLime9

Is there anything more quintessentially summer than a key lime pie?  I remember the first time I had a proper key lime pie, from the Florida keys.  After my sophomore year of college, my parents took my sister and I on a spring vacation to Longboat Key in Florida.  We stayed in a gorgeous hotel situated on the most idyllic, white sand beach.  One evening we had dinner in town, and for dessert, we all shared a slice of the key lime pie.  It was sublime.  I fell in love in that moment with this very special dessert, which is perfect for my citrus, custard-loving palate.

It turns out that key lime pie couldn’t be simpler to make.  The crust is comprised solely of pulverized graham crackers, sugar and melted butter, and the filling is little more than sweetened condensed milk {a wonder product, if you ask me}, egg yolks and key lime juice.  I used bottled key lime juice here, but if you can find fresh key limes, by all means.  To make things feel slightly more summery, I substituted regular whipped cream for a coconut whipped cream {made from coconut milk}, which had a beautiful, airy consistency and perfectly tropical taste.

Well, hello summer! Oh, how I have missed you!

KeyLime1

KeyLime2

KeyLime4

• 1 1/4 c. graham cracker crumbs from 9 (2 1/4-inch by 4 3/4-inch) crackers
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 {14-oz.} can sweetened condensed milk
  • 4 large egg yolks
  • 1/2 c. plus 2 tablespoons fresh or bottled Key lime juice
  • 1 {14-oz.} can regular {not light} coconut milk
  • 1 to 2 teaspoons honey
  • 1 lime, sliced thinly into rounds {if desired}

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Stir together graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and butter in a bowl with a fork until combined well, then press mixture evenly onto bottom and up sides of 4 4-inch removable bottom tart pans.

Bake crusts in middle of oven 10 minutes and cool in tart pans on a rack. Leave oven on.

Whisk together condensed milk and yolks in a bowl until combined well. Add juice and whisk until combined well {mixture will thicken slightly}.

Pour filling into crusts and bake in middle of oven 15 minutes. Cool pies completely on rack {filling will set as it cools}, then chill, covered, at least 8 hours. When you put the pies in the refrigerator, put can of coconut milk in refrigerator to chill.

Just before serving, scoop the hardened portion of the coconut milk {it should have separated from the liquid} into a bowl and add honey. Beat coconut milk and honey with an electric mixer until it just holds stiff peaks.  Serve pie topped with coconut cream and slice of lime, if desired.

KeyLime5

KeyLime6

KeyLime7

KeyLime8

KeyLime15

KeyLime11

KeyLime14

KeyLime16

This entry was posted in desserts + baking, Recipes. Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to summertime key lime pies with coconut cream

1. aweighwithme says:

I DIE for key lime pie! I can’t wait to try this.

2. Oh, yum, Lindsay; I just love these little pies of yours … so gorgeous and just the perfect size =) I have a love affair with key lime pie. I remember the first time I had it was in Grand Cayman and not being a dessert lover in general, one bite of that amazing pie and I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Just the perfect combo of sweet and citrus-y tang. Thanks for sharing this, lovely, hope you’re having a great week xo!

Oooh, I love that food memory! And you and I are kindred dessert spirits – the citrus-y tang is delightful! Far better than any chocolate-based dessert! xo

3. Those are absolutely adorable! I love your idea of adding whipped coconut cream, I love coconut with lime!

Thank you Shae! And thanks so much for stopping by! The coconut cream was delicious, and I dare say, a bit healthier than regular whipped cream? Trying to think of other ways to incorporate it! xo

4. LOVE, key lime pie is one of my favorites. Beautifully done!

5. These look fabulous Lindsay! One of my favourite desserts too – yum!

6. cityjulep says:

pies look mouth puckerin-ly beautiful…one of my favorites as well.. beautiful post and thanks for sharing your recipe… sarah

7. Delicious! Love the addition of coconut cream on top, it sounds very summery and fresh…Yum!

Thank you! If you like coconut, the coconut cream is out of this world. I am trying to come up with other uses for it – it should be on anything fruity and tropical! xoxo

8. chardrap says:

Amazing photos! Im going to have to make this at the weekend! 🙂

9. These look beautiful, I must make them. I’m pretty sure I won’t find key limes here (UK) so I hope ordinary limes will do!

Thank you so much! And thank you for stopping by! Yes, I think ordinary limes should work fine, although if you can get your hands on bottled key lime juice, that works fantastically too! Either way! xoxo

10. Pingback: Summer Eats | The Wisconsin Wife

11. Key lime pies are one of my favorite desserts. Your look adorable and the recipe looks so simple! I can’t believe that I haven’t made them myself before.

Thank you! I had the same exact thought – when I realized how short the ingredient list is and how simply it all comes together, I kicked myself for not attempting it at home sooner! 🙂 xoxo

12. lovely! I’d like to sink my teeth into one of those little pies right now.

13. radhika25 says:

I love keylime pies! And I love your pictures! Just stumbled upon your blog through Apuginthekitchen.

Hi Radhika! So nice to meet you! Thank you so much for stopping by. How wonderful is Suzanne? She is a fantastic chef, photographer and blogger, and such an inspirational and encouraging human being to boot. One of the most wonderful people I have met through this crazy blogging experience! 🙂 xoxo

14. Marta says:

where i can get those little metal pans

Hi Marta! I bought the small metal pans from Sur La Table for about $4 each, and love them! I guess I just happen to love individual-sized desserts, so I have gotten so much use out of them. Thank you for stopping by! xoxo

15. Marta says:

Thank you so much I love Sur La Table. I will look for them.