homemade tomato jam

TomatoJam5Given my preference for savory over sweet, for my first attempt at making jam this summer, I reached for tomatoes, rather than berries.  This jam couldn’t be simpler – you simply throw several simple ingredients into a pot – tomatoes, diced onion, white wine vinegar, herbs de provence and a green apple {for its pectin} – let it come to an active simmer, and simply wait.  The tomatoes cook down into a jammy, delicious consistency, beautifully flavored and colored.  Use this jam on your next cheese plate, on burgers, on crostini, and anywhere you would otherwise use ketchup.  It would also make a fantastic hostess gift at your next summer cookout.

Napoleon1

Napoleon3

Tomato Jam

• 3 pounds tomatoes, coarsely chopped
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 1/2 c. brown sugar
  • 1/2 c. granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 c. cider vinegar
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • 1 green apple, cored and chopped
  • 1 teaspoon herbs of provence

Put all ingredients into a large, heavy pot over medium high heat.  Bring to a boil, then reduce to an active simmer.  Stir occasionally to prevent sticking on the bottom of the pot. Cook until the tomatoes have reduced down to a jam consistency, which will take between 2 to 3 hours.  Store the jam in sterilized glass jars.

TomatoJam1

TomatoJam2

TomatoJam3

TomatoJam9

This entry was posted in other tasty bits, Recipes. Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to homemade tomato jam

1. Pingback: summer tomato napoleon with goat cheese basil mousse and homemade tomato jam | { fleur de sel }

this sounds wonderful – can’t wait till my tomatoes are ripe!!!

3. that looks wonderful – so many beautiful tomatoes, nothing could go wrong!

4. Lindsay, this is a lovely idea. I had no idea you can use green apple for the pectin. Sounds delicious. Hope all is well with you. Take care! xo

Hi Anne! So good to hear from you! The apple is a little miracle worker – I think just that much pectin made the tomatoes turn into a delicious jammy texture, as opposed to just reducing to a classic marinara sauce. So yummy. Hope you’re doing well! xoxo

5. This sounds like my kind of jam. Definitely savory over sweet. I am so pleased you posted this inspiring idea. Anticipating my tomato harvest!

6. I make tomato jam every summer and my favorite way to enjoy it is with goat cheese. Your recipe is wonderful, I don’t need to say anything about your photo’s, sigh……

I love it! I had never really before thought about the myriad of uses for tomato jam, but I think it will have to become a summer tradition as you have done – how charming! What else do you use yours for?

7. willowandbee says:

I can’t wait for my tomatoes to come in. This will be the first recipe I will make!!! Lovely pictures…

Thank you so much! I hope you enjoy it! I think it would be so terribly cute bottled nicely and wrapped with a pretty ribbon as a gift, especially from a home garden! xoxo

8. Yum, Lindsay, and the pics, especially of the tomatoes, are just gorgeous. I love how tomatoes just sing of Summer. You know when they start showing their lovely faces, Summer is here. Thanks so much for helping with bringing it on =) xo!

I’ve made a chilli tomato jam but I’m yet to try a gorgeously rich, classic tomato jam like this one. It’s looks beautiful (I have the same size Weck jar, it’s my favourite one. I love the metal clasps on the lid!). I am so addicted to goats cheese. It’s been a permanent fixture in my fridge for months now. Can’t get enough of it, especially on fresh crostini. Yum!
    By the way, I’ve been experimenting with Winter ‘jam’ flavours recently (as like you, I adore savoury jams. I never really eat the sweet ones, though I do make them to give away). I’ve had huge success with a beetroot jam (it becomes gorgeously syrupy and delicious! We had a homemade burger night and the boys finished my whole batch! Sad face), apple jam (made savoury style, with onions and spices. Sooo good with roast pork) and bacon jam (with chilli and Bourbon. Man food). I need to post some of them up one day! xoxo

10. Lynette says:

This looks completely amazing!

11. Carole Makowka says:

could you put a pepper in with the tomatoes? small chili pepper or something for a bit of a bite?

12. Michelle says:

Do these get stored in the refrigerator? How long do you think they are good for? Thanks!

Yes, I store the tomato jam as I do ketchup – in the refrigerator. All of the tomato jam I made didn’t last too long, but I would think it would keep in the refrigerator for at least two weeks…Please do let me know that you think! xoxo

13. amanda says:

Did you peel your tomatoes first? I have tomatoes coming out of my ears from our garden and I can’t wait to make this, I’m going to smother it on my grilled cheese 🙂

Hi Amanda – thanks so much for stopping by! No, I did not peel my tomatoes – I just roughly chopped up the larger ones and left some of the little cherry tomatoes whole – super easy! I think the tomato skins give this jam a nice texture. I love your idea to smother it over grilled cheese – genius! xoxo

14. Hi,
    Making the recipe now, adding a small handful of organic dried cranberries & goji berries, I used the juice of a lime because I was out of lemons and also added bit of hot peppers. Tastes fantastic! Will try to post a shot of it cooking on the stove! Thank you!
    Love and light, Daphne Weld Nichols

Hi Daphne! Thanks so much for stopping by and for giving the recipe a try! Would love to see a picture of it bubbling away on the stove. Glad you liked how it turned out – the addition of hot peppers for a little kick sounds fantastic! xoxo

15. Looks so delicious! My neighbor gave me a different recipe but it turned out pretty great.

16. sylvia Faye says:

I found you from another site and your Tomato Jam sends out tastebud drools so if I can find some inexpensive tomatoes I am going to give it a go…thanks for the receipe. I sent it to some family members and a friend.
    Bless you
    Sylvia Faye

Hi Sylvia! Thank you so much for stopping by and for your kind words! If you give it a go, do let me know what you think of the recipe – would love to hear your thoughts! xoxo

17. Pingback: Tomato Jam | chef mimi blog

18. Karen York says:

How much total jam does this make?

19. DAnielle K says:

do you think this can be canned to preserve its shelf life?