summer tomato napoleon with goat cheese basil mousse and homemade tomato jam

Napoleon22

Tomatoes always remind me of my grandfather.  Some summers, when my parents needed a getaway from parenthood, they would drop us kids off at my grandparents’ house for a week or two.  During one of these summers, I remember sitting at my grandparents’ kitchen table on a particularly hot night, and my grandfather sliced a huge, perfectly ripe tomato, still warm from the sun, into thick slices, and sprinkled the slices with salt before eating them with a knife and fork like a steak.  He offered me a bite, and it was magical.

A few weeks ago, gorgeous heirloom and cherry tomatoes began showing up at my local grocery store. Although no tomato has ever tasted quite as good as the one enjoyed at my grandparents’ table, summer ripened tomatoes at their peak are incredibly delicious – so far superior to their flavorless, mealy winter counterparts that they really shouldn’t even be called by the same name.  Tomatoes like this need very little – a light dressing of extra virgin olive oil, a bit of garlic, fresh basil, sea salt and pepper.  I love topping crostini, pasta and scrambled eggs with this delightful little summer salad, but on this particular occasion I created a savory napoleon, sandwiching the fresh tomatoes between puff pastry, goat cheese and basil mousse and homemade tomato jam.  A cheeky, savory take on a classic napoleon – perfect for a summertime brunch.

Napoleon6

Napoleon10

Summer Tomato Napoleon with Goat Cheese Basil Mousse and Homemade Tomato Jam

• 1 puff pastry sheet
  • 1 pound tomatoes
  • 2 teaspoons basil, chopped
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1 small garlic glove, minced
  • 1 5 ounce log of goat cheese
  • 1 c. heavy whipping cream
  • Sea salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • Store bought tomato chutney or homemade tomato jam {see recipe here}

On a floured surface, roll out puff pastry sheet to 1/8 inch thick.  Using a knife, cut the pastry sheet into 3 equal sized rectangles.  Place each pastry rectangle on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.  Bake according to package directions and let cool completely.

Cut tomatoes into bite sized pieces {if using cherry tomatoes, slice in half}.  Place sliced tomatoes in mixing bowl, and add 1 teaspoon chopped basil, add minced garlic, olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.  Mix thoroughly to combine.  Set aside.

In mixing bowl, add goat cheese and whipping cream.  Mix using handheld mixers for about 1 minute or until light and creamy and the consistency of whipped cream.  Add 1 teaspoon basil and stir to combine.  Set aside.

To compile the mielle fueille, cut each puff pastry rectangle in half and fold open like a book until each pastry sheet splits into two pieces.  Repeat with each pastry sheet.  You will need to use three pastry sheet halves total so save the remainder for other uses.

Place one half of a pastry sheet on a serving platter.  Spread about 2 tablespoons tomato jam onto pastry sheet.  Then spread with 2 tablespoons goat cheese mousse.  Lightly sprinkle with sea salt.  Spoon one third of the tomatoes on top of the goat cheese mousse.  Place another pastry sheet on top and repeat process {tomato jam, goat cheese mousse, sea salt, tomatoes} two more times, finishing with the tomatoes.  Serve immediately.

Napoleo7

Napoleon8

Napoleon12

Napoleon13

Napoleon15

Napoleon18

Napoleon20

Napoleon27

Napoleon29

Napoleon30

Napoleon31

This entry was posted in mains + sides, Recipes, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to summer tomato napoleon with goat cheese basil mousse and homemade tomato jam

WOW!!! So pretty, and looks extremely delicious!!! You’re such a great photographer, too.

2. Beautiful, I so have to make this. Goat cheese and tomato are perfect together and the puff pastry is a great vehicle for this heavenly combination.

Thank you Suzanne! This recipe was really so easy (especially if you buy store-bought tomato chutney or jam) and was so much fun to assemble. Hope you’re having a lovely summer so far! xoxo

3. I am loving your tomato posts! Looks as though you may be harvesting already. Aw, California, right? Gorgeous photography.

Yes, us lucky Californians always see the new season’s produce in our grocery stores and farmers markets first! But I am quite jealous that you grow your own – how exciting! Feel free to send some my way! 🙂

4. What a combination of ingredients! Mixture of goat cheese and cream adds so much. And… very beautiful to the eyes as well as to the palate!

Thank you Fae! Yes, adding whipped cream to the goat cheese really made it feel lighter than air, but it still held onto its delicious, pungent, tart, quintessentially goat cheesiness. Thank you so much for stopping by and for your kind words! xoxo

5. Looks fantastic. Bravo!

6. Lilly Sue says:

Wow, this looks too good!! So many of my favorite things 🙂 What a fabulous summer snack!

7. Lovely post, Lindsay. Isn’t it funny how food can take us back to a different time and place AND to people? It can certainly be magical that way =) Thanks so much for sharing a little slice of your past with us — what lovely memories! And the recipe — just delicious looking … and so fresh! Hope all is well, lovely, have a wonderful weekend =) xo!

Thank you Christina. It’s strange – lately I have been thinking so much about my grandparents – so many fond memories of them…I love how food has that effect…I can never open a can of peaches without thinking of my grandmother…She was the queen of canned fruit, and I remember her placing sliced canned peaches on a bowl of oatmeal with brown sugar…So yummy. Hope you’re doing well love! xoxo

This is such a beautiful, Summery post… gorgeous photos and beautiful words. I’m reading it at 7.15am, cold fingers wrapped tightly around my coffee mug as I sit in a thick blanket in front of the heater! It’s so strange that we’re entering different seasons at the same time. I’m longing for fresh strawberries and fragrant heirloom tomatoes. Six months to wait!
    I love the recollections of your grandfather. He sounds like a lovely man. I always remember my grandpa when I listen to Frank Sinatra or eat mince pies at Christmas (he loved them!). Grandma did the cooking, then Grandpa would take me into the kitchen and we’d listen to the Rat Pack whilst washing up. We’d dance, hand in hand, with tea towels draped over our shoulders and smiles from ear to ear. It’s one of the fondest memories I have of him. I miss him very much… but you’re completely right. I love how food can take us right back into those happy moments. The best kind of nostalgia. Love this post. I can’t wait to make this beautiful recipe xx

Awww – I love that memory – you are such a fantastic writer – I feel like I am transported to that kitchen with you and your grandpa…what a truly beautiful memory…