rose water and almond madeleines

Madeline7

I have a Proust-like adoration for madeleines.  For me, they are the perfect little dessert – half cake, half cookie, and wonderful with coffee or tea.  I sheepishly confess to eating them for breakfast as well, dipping them in my latte.  It’s hard to improve upon the buttery perfection of standard madeleines, but I thought the delicate flavors of rose water and almond extract would elevate these delicacies to another, somehow more refined level.  They were divine.

Yes, these little beauties require a special pan to make, but a madeleine pan can be acquired relatively cheaply {I think mine was under $20} and is pretty enough to display on your kitchen counter.

Recipe continued after the jump…

Madeline1

Madeline2

Makes about 20 madeleines

• 1 1/2 tablespoons melted butter, to grease the pans
  • 3 large eggs {preferably organic}, at room temperature
  • 2/3 c. sugar
  • 2 teaspoons rose water
  • 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1/4 pound {1 stick} unsalted butter, melted and cooled
  • 1 c. all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 c. cornstarch
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • Confectioners’ sugar {optional}

Preheat oven to 375°F.  Using a pastry brush, brush melted butter in madeleine pan and dust with flour.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the eggs, sugar, rose water and almond extract on medium speed for 3 minutes, or until light yellow and fluffy.  Add the butter and mix.  Sift together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt, and stir into batter with a rubber spatula.

With a soup spoon, drop the batter into the pans, filling each shell almost full.  Bake the madeleines for 10 to 12 minutes, until they spring back when pressed.  Tap the madeleines out onto a baking pan lined with parchment paper and allow to cool.  Dust with confectioners’ sugar, if desired.

Madeline3

Madeline4

Madeline5

Madeline6

Madeline9

Madeline8

Madeline10

This entry was posted in Recipes. Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to rose water and almond madeleines

Wow! Absolutely beautiful and not over baked like I see often!

2. Karen says:

They must have a lovely fragrance just as your beautiful roses do, I’m sure. Perfect with a cup of tea.

3. How beautiful, I love a touch of rosewater in baked goods and I also have a great love of madeleines, one of my favorite treats, there is something so ethereal about those delicious little cakes/cookies. Again, I just have to commend you on your photographs, they are stunning.

4. So fancy! Never had rose water and almond madeleines before. Will have to give these a try. I just love the photos here. Absolutely gorgeous!

Lovely pictures and recipe ! And I love your vintage Bergamotes de Nancy box! Where did you get that ??? I really should get a madeleine pan and make some!

Thank you Darya! I actually found the box at a vintage kitchen store here in SF – it is truly amazing! The first time I went I literally spent 2 hours slowly looking at everything – if you ever come out to SF, you must visit it!

6. u’ve done it again..i dont have a mandeleine pan and i’ve been wanting one for years…adding it to the list of my “gimme gimme” items…just love how simply beautiful they are, no frosting, or glaze, just a beautiful dessert… lovely post..sarah

Thank you Sarah! I, like post people, don’t really like buying specialty pans, but I made an exception for madeleines – in my mind, they really cannot be made with any other shape/pan…

7. Such a beautiful, relaxing and delicious post. It is so fun coming to visit you as you always have a way of making me smile!

8. What a delightful idea to add the rosewater and they look so elegant. I have a mini madaleine pan I have not used yet, so aim to christen it with your recipe. Thanks, Tracey

9. petit4chocolatier says:

So elegant. I love the rosewater. The madeleine pan is wonderful and these look delicious!

10. Pingback: butternut squash soup with brown butter and fresh mint « { fleur de sel }

11. Reblogged this on Haute Mom Living and commented:
    Once again Fleur de sel you are making me realize I need to spend a full sunday in the kitchen baking for another party!

12. CaliZona says:

Mmmmm, madeleines are my favorite! Iv only made the one time many years ago. Rose and Almond MMmmmmm

13. mariherbias says:

They look wonderful! Can this recipe be adapted? Ideally, i’d like to substitute all purpose flour for either almond or coconut flour. Thank you! 🙂

Hmmm, that’s a fantastic idea! I am sure that you could substitute either of those flours – I think almond flour would be particularly nice – perhaps omit the almond extract in that case. I will definitely give it a go with almond flour one of these days and will let you know! Thank you for the idea! xo

14. mariherbias says:

They look wonderful! Can the recipe be adapted? Ideally, i’d like to substitute all-purpose flour for coconut or almond flour. Thank you! 🙂

15. Jenny says:

Hi Fleur De Sel,
    Thank you for posting this lovely recipe. I made these Madeleine Cookies yesterday and they came out just as you have them on your pictures. However, the next day, the cookies became more sticky on the bottom part of the Madeleine cookie shell. Does that happened to you? I baked for about 10-11 mins as you suggested. What do you suggest I do to prevent the “stickiness” of the cookies? Bake them longer? I’m afraid it will dry out the cookies/overbake them.

Thanks so much for stopping by and for giving this recipe a try! Hmm…that hasn’t happened to me before. Did you remove the cookies from the pan right after they cooled?

• Jenny says:

I the cookies out right after I took them out from the oven because I did not want the cookies to continue to cook and have that slight brown color. I will give it a try one more time. Also, do you suggest if I whipped the batter longer, the cookies will be more light? Mine did not come out as light as I thought it would be. It was more dense.

Hmm…that’s tough. I suppose that madeleines in general are not as “cake-like” – they are a bit more spongey in texture.

16. Pingback: FLORAL INSPIRED RECIPES: Lavender Latte & Rose Water and Almond Madeleines | Design by Occasion