public humiliation and mexican hot cocoa

Cocoa4

The partners at my law firm are a particularly sadistic bunch.  We have our firm’s holiday party today, and apparently the partners believe in the old adage of “singing for your supper” – all of us associates have to get up on stage in front of the entire firm {partners and staff alike} and perform a skit.  It’s cruel and unusual – attorneys are not meant to moonlight as actors.  My goal is rather simple – to achieve the perfect buzz – enough to lose some inhibition but not too much that I fall off the stage.  A fine line…

Cocoa3

On a lighter, more warm and fuzzy note, earlier this week, we made “Mexican” hot cocoa with homemade vanilla marshmallows {recipe here}, and curled up in front of the tree.  It was lovely.  I made the cocoa with Scharffen Berger unsweetened cocoa powder, sugar and a pinch of cayenne pepper.  I steeped a cinnamon stick and half a vanilla bean {a bit decadent, I know} in the milk as I waited for it to scald.  It was delicious – the cayenne pepper gave the cocoa the perfect amount of heat to warm you up on the inside and get your blood flowing.  These particular drinks were sans liquor, but by all means {especially if you need something to dull the pain of public humiliation}.  Have a lovely weekend!

Recipe continued after the jump…

Cocoa8

“Mexican” Hot Chocolate

Serves 2

• 2 c. whole or lowfat milk
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 1/2 vanilla bean {if desired}
  • 3 tablespoons unsweetened hot cocoa
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 pinch cayenne pepper
  • 1 pinch salt

In a medium bowl, mix together the cocoa, sugar, cinnamon, cayenne pepper and salt with a whisk.  Pour milk into a medium saucepan and add cinnamon stick and vanilla bean {if using}.  Heat over medium heat until the milk is about to come to a boil.  Remove cinnamon stick and vanilla bean {if using} from milk using a slotted spoon or spider.  Pour 1/2 c. of the milk into the cocoa mixture and whisk until well blended.  Then pour the cocoa mixture back into the saucepan with the rest of the milk and whisk until combined.  Serve warm with marshmallows, and, if the mood strikes, your favorite liquor.

Cocoa6

Cocoa7

Cocoa5

Cocoa9

Thank you so much for reading!

This entry was posted in Recipes. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to public humiliation and mexican hot cocoa

1. Maggie Sause says:

I certainly hope your next post includes photos (and *praying for* video) of this public shaming! You are going to be the star of the show!! xo

2. Karen says:

Now that sounds like decadent hot chocolate. Christmas parties are supposed to be fun…not stressful.

3. My goal is to have all work holiday parties removed and instead they just give the proceeds as a holiday bonus to the staff. What do you think of that idea? Until then, I will also take comfort in sitting closely by the tree with a delicious cup of your hot cocoa recipe. Take care, BAM

That’s a fantastic idea! I love that! I agree – the amount of money spent on these things is insane. I guess it’s important for team building purposes, but sometimes does feel a bit excessive. Thanks BAM!

4. i hope your “singing” went well…but ya i have to admit it is kinda funny…hot chocolate looks amazing, and hey its the holidays, why not use that vanilla bean, that if your like me “been saving for a special occasion” ..dont know why i hord my nice ingredients… lol ..lovely post.. sarah

5. Anne says:

I tried Mexican mocha before and I absolutely love it. I can’t put my finger on why it tasted so good. It’s cocoa-ey but not overly sweet, like the regular American mocha. So I bet this Mexican hot cocoa will be tasty. Thanks for posting! I hope you made it through the party in one piece. A little liquid courage certainly will help with your skit. 🙂

Thanks Anne! The party was actually a blast, and the skit actually went off without a hitch! I agree with you about the Mexican cocoa – I wasn’t sure how to refer to this little concoction – I called it Mexican because of the addition of cinnamon and cayenne, but I have also tried that Abuelita brand of true Mexican hot cocoa, and that is divine also.

• Anne says:

Oh, I’m so glad to hear you had a good time! You are right to call it Mexican cocoa. With cinnamon and cayenne –I would have call it that too. I see Abuelita is on Amazon with lots of great reviews. I’ll have to try it –thanks for recommending. 🙂

6. Pingback: homemade vanilla marshmallows « { fleur de sel }

7. The hot cocoa and marhmallows look just wonderful, nothing like a warm mug of chocolate in the winter. Talk about cruel and unusual punishment, I can’t imagine a bunch of attorney’s literally having to sing for their supper.It’s good though to let loose and it must have been fun glad it went off without a hitch.

8. Pingback: bringing the bistro home – part deux – chocolat-inspired chocolate mousse « { fleur de sel }