homemade potato chips with truffle salt

I recall the exact moment I became a Francophile.  When my family first visited Paris when I was 19, my sister and I spent an afternoon wandering around Paris, sans les parents.  Thinking we were incredibly chic, we sat down at an outdoor table at Les Deux Magots and ordered champagne cocktails.  With our drinks, our waiter brought us a complimentary bowl of deliciously salty, crunchy potato chips.  Potato chips – an ordinary snack item found in every vending machine – had never felt so luxurious.  They were the perfect compliment to the sweet effervesence of the champagne.

I still don’t think there is a more perfect addition to any cocktail hour.  And to improve upon perfection just ever so slightly, I finish them with a sprinkling of truffle salt.

Recipe continued after the jump…

Recipe {adapted from Ina Garten’s Barefoot in Paris}:

• 4 Yukon gold potatoes, peeled
  • Vegetable oil
  • White or black truffle salt, or sea salt

Slice the potatoes 1/16 of an inch think with a knife or a mandoline.  Soak the slices in cold water for about 10 minutes, drain the slices in a colander and pat dry with a kitchen towel or paper towels.

Meanwhile, place 2 to 3 inches of vegetable oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot {I used a Le Crueset pot} and heat the oil to 375 degrees on a candy thermometer.  Gently place a handful of slices of potatoes into the hot oil and fry them until they are golden brown, about 3 minutes, tossing with a spider or slotted spoon to cook evenly.  Remove slices with spider or slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel-lined baking sheet.  Immediately sprinkle slices {generously} with truffle salt or sea salt while the slices are still hot from the oil.  Repeat the frying with the remaining slices of potatoes.

Note:  I also think that parnsip chips prepared in a similar fashion would be sublime.

This entry was posted in Recipes. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to homemade potato chips with truffle salt

1. daryouchka says:

So much fun reading this post! I am française myself, and lived in Paris until very recently, but I never went to Les Deux Magots! I guess I will just have to be content with drinking champagne and snacking on potato chips, definitely sprinkling them with truffle salt as my parents gave me a bag that will probably last a lifetime. 🙂

Oh I am so jealous! How long did you live in Paris? I am planning a trip there this April and cannot wait! In my opinion, truffle salt is good sprinkled on nearly everything! 🙂

• daryouchka says:

Well, I moved to France with my family when I was 5 (which is why my French is way better than my English, and my posts in English so much shorter), and I grew up first near Paris and then in Paris, and I only moved to Lille last fall, so I guess I’ve spent most of my life there so far!
        Concerning truffle salt, and it being good with pretty much anything, I suppose that must be what my mom thought when she got me the biggest possible bag! 😀

How lovely! Your English seems very good also!

• daryouchka says:

Oh and when you are in Paris, do let me know as I am there very often. I can recommend nice places to eat, and love spending foodie time with food-loving people.

Yes please! That would be amazing! 🙂

• daryouchka says:

So, I just made these to take to a party tonight (using purple potatoes), and they are delicious! Love the truffly taste, what a good idea! I don’t know if they’ll last though, my boyfriend sounds like he is ready to eat all of them!

Oh good! Glad they turned out well and that you were able to use your special truffle salt! I bet the purple potatoes were lovely! 🙂

2. Pingback: truffle salt roundup – featured on babble | { fleur de sel }