bacon brown butter pancakes

BaconPancake5

When it comes to breakfast, I normally always favor savory dishes over sweet.  I can always be relied on to order the huevos rancheros, eggs benedict {particularly if it’s a souped-up version} or an omelette.  I am almost never drawn to the other, dark side of the menu – pancakes, french toast and waffles usually never feel right in the moment – too protein deficient to fill me up more than an hour and too cloyingly sweet.  One Saturday morning I found myself wanting something right down the middle – something savory and sweet.  I immediately thought of bacon brown butter pancakes.

Surprisingly {at least to me}, there is a dearth of bacon pancake recipes out there.  Martha has one, but she used whole strips of bacon, which didn’t feel quite right.  I improvised by sprinkling bite sized pieces of crispy bacon into the pancake batter once on the griddle {which, incidentally, is how I make blueberry pancakes also}.  And because I can’t seem to get enough, I added brown butter to the buttermilk batter, and it imparted a lovely nuttiness to the pancakes that prevented them from being too sweet, despite the copious amounts of real maple syrup I drizzled on top.  This is the perfect dish for those mornings when you can’t decide between savory or sweet, and simply must have both.

Recipe continued after the jump…

BaconPancake1

Adapted from Martha Stewart

• 6 slices bacon
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 c. all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 1/4 c. buttermilk
  • 1 large egg

Heat large cast-iron or non-stick skillet or on a griddle, cook bacon over medium high heat until fat is rendered and bacon is browned on one side, 5 to 6 minutes.  Flip and cook until golden and crisp on underside, 1 to 3 minutes.  Drain bacon on paper towels, pour off all but 1 teaspoon of fat from skillet into a measuring cup.  Tear or cut cooled bacon into bite-sized pieces.

Put butter in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat.  The butter will go through various phases – first it melts, then starts to sizzle, and then some butter solids will start to turn brown and it will give off a nutty fragrance.  Once butter solids begin to brown, remove from heat.

In a bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  In another bowl, whisk together buttermilk, brown butter and egg.  Whisk flour mixture into buttermilk mixture just until moistened, with small to medium lumps remaining.

Heat same skillet over medium heat.  Pour 1/4 cupfuls of batter into skillet and top each with bacon pieces.  cook until some bubbles appear on top of pancakes and a few have burst, about 2 minutes.  With a spatula, carefully flip pancakes and cook until browned on the underside, about 2 minutes.  Transfer to a platter.  If desired, keep pancakes warm in oven set at 200°F.  Add another teaspoon of bacon fat to pan and repeat with remaining batter and bacon.  Serve with pure maple syrup.

BaconPancake2

BaconPancake3

BaconPancake4

BaconPancake6

BaconPancake8

BaconPancake7

BaconPancake9

This entry was posted in other tasty bits, Recipes. Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to bacon brown butter pancakes

1. Gorgeous! Especially with that French press lurking!

2. Lynette says:

Oh yeah! This sounds a.maz.ing! So going to try this weekend with the kiddos. Thanks! (Great pictures too by the way!)

3. I am with you Lindsay, I always prefer savory items over sweet for breakfast/brunch. This sounds really good with sprinkles of bacon in the pancake –fantastic idea! You have your sweetness from the syrup and savoryness from the bacon. Yum!

4. Helena says:

I love this idea, too ! Having been a few times on holiday in countries where the breakfast meals are rather savoury, I often regret our tendency to eat sweet ones here in France. In my opinion, the former seems much more natural ! And bacon and brown butter sound as an amazing combination, though not very healthy ;)
    I guess these pancakes will soon stand on my breakfast table… so thank you in advance !

Thank you Helena! No, they are not healthy at all, although, I guess not that much worse than pancakes with a side of bacon! :) I am going to France in April and will do my best to find a breakfast restaurant with savory options! :) Any recommendations? I hear Rose Bakery in Paris is amazing…

• Helena says:

Well, to be honest, I do not know Paris very well as I live in a town in North of France, where you definitely wouldn’t want to spend holidays… And anyway, I’m not used to breakfast in restaurants in France, except when staying at bed & breakfasts ! So, I’m not able for now to give you an advice (but I’ve hear talk too of Rose Bakery…). Wish you luck and hope you’ll enjoy your stay here !

Thank you Helena! May have to just stick to breakfasts of pain au chocolat and other sweets for 10 days or so – how will I ever manage? :) xo

5. well i am a sweets girl..but this looks just amazing..you know i am very pro pig, so i will be making this soon…lovely post ..sarah

Haha Sarah – “pro pig” – love it! I am too, despite the fact that I tell myself I need to stop eating them, especially because my dog bears a strong resemblance to a pig! :) xo

6. Now I want to join you on the dark side, I want pancakes, but these specifically. Just wonderful!

7. petit4chocolatier says:

One word.., Delicious!

8. smileycook says:

This looks beyond delicious! Everytime I read a post from you my mouth is literally watering! It looks soo delicious and I am not even a huge pancake person lol :-)

Haha – me neither! I rarely ever want pancakes (would prefer waffles over pancakes any day of the week usually), but this particular morning only pancakes would do! Thanks for stopping by! xo

9. aweighwithme says:

These look AMAZING!! Pinned. :)

10. andmorefood says:

I swing the other way actually! sweet over savoury – though bacon pancakes sound incredible.

Haha – sometimes it’s hard to decide, but you can’t go wrong with the bacon pancakes – a little something for any persuasion! (well, except for vegetarians, I suppose). Thanks so much for stopping by! :)

11. Pingback: best pancakes ever – the chocolate edition | { fleur de sel }

12. Lilly Sue says:

What a fun idea! I like the combination of savory and sweet :) I have some bacon chocolate beer cookies I am working to perfect :)